Wednesday, January 4, 2017

10 Movies I'm Excited to See in 2017.

For a lot of people 2017 seems like an awfully bleak prospect. However, movie lovers have some reasons to be excited. Here's a list of the 10 movies I'm most excited to see this year. Now, some of these might be total crap and others I'm fully expecting to be fantastic.























10. Kong Skull Island

 Image result for kong skull island

 Kong Skull Island is taking place in the same universe as 2014's Godzilla, and is really being made to set up the impending Kong vs. Godzilla movie. Sometimes a movie can feel really lazy and incomplete when it is made just to set up another movie (think the most recent Divergent crap show,) but other times it is able to set up the next film while being totally engaging in its own right (think Captain America: The First Avenger, or the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.) With a cast like Oscar winner Brie Larson, Tom Hiddleston, John Goodman and reuniting Straight Outta Compton's Corey Hawkins and Jason Mitchell, and being directed by the guy who did Kings of Summer, an indie film I loved, I have hope for this one.



9.  Alien: Covenant

Image result for alien covenant poster

Fans who felt 2012's Prometheus was a lazy and ill-suited prequel to the legendary Alien franchise will be comforted to know Alien: Covenant will serve as a closer, more direct prequel. While I loved Prometheus, I am very excited to see what happens here. I love that they're bringing back Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace from Prometheus, and I'm intrigued by what Danny McBride and James Franco will bring to the table. I'm also curious about which Ridley Scott we are going to get. Will we get Ridley Scott the genius, responsible for Blade Runner and the original Alien; or will we get Ridley Scott the louse responsible for pieces of trash like Exodus: Gods and Kings and The Counselor? Time will tell.


8.  Beauty and The Beast

 Image result for beauty and the beast 2017 poster

Disney is on a white hot streak with their Disney remakes. Cinderella was exceptional and the Jungle Book was one of the best movies I'd seen in the insanely theatrically competitive 2016. Not to mention this bonkers-good cast. I have high hopes for this one.





7. War for the Planet of The Apes

 War for the Planet of the Apes Poster

I love it when I hear their doing a reboot of a classic and I get cynical and skeptical about it, and then they fire off two out of this world fine movies. That's been the story for this Planet of the Apes prequel series. I want to badly for this to be a solid trilogy, and with Matt Reeves back to helm (director of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and, one of my all time favorites, Let Me In) I have good reason to expect this to blow me away.




6. Spider-Man: Homecoming

 Image result for spider-man homecoming 2017 poster

In 2016 when I heard they were going to add Spider-Man to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and that he would get another movie in 2017, to say I was annoyed didn't quite cover it. I have had enough Spider-Man. Then I saw Tom Holland in Captain America: Civil War, and he had maybe fifteen minutes of screen time in, if that, and it was enough to make me think, "Is this the best Spider-Man performance we've ever seen?" I guess we will find out July 7th. But if he brings an ounce of the youthful and comedic energy he brought to Civil War, I have no doubt this Spider-Man will feel fresh and necessary. Not to mention Michael Keaton is sticking to the common thread that keeps him successful: Batman-Birdman-Vulture.






5. Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 2

 Image result for guardians of the galaxy vol. 2 2017 poster

Do I need to say anything? The first installment left me hungry for so much more of these fantastic characters, I have been anticipating this from the minute the credits rolled on it. With writer/director James Gunn and the original cast returning, I have no reason not to be jazzed. Please don't be bad.





4. Blade Runner 2049

 Image result for Blade Runner 2049 2017 poster

 I have no idea what they're going to do with this, but here are the reasons I'm stoked:

1. Directed by Dennis Villeneuve, the mastermind behind Arrival, Sicario and Prisoners.
2. Ryan Gosling, Jared Leto Robin Wright, Lennie James (Morgan from Walking Dead) and Captain' Phillips' Barkhad Abdi.
3. Hampton Fischer, writer of the first Blade Runner, returns.

Come on people. Those three are enough, now get excited with me.





3. Logan

 Image result for Logan 2017 poster

 The trailer for this movie had me tearing up, its being marketed as a poetic, dark and beautiful send off to Hugh Jackman. I've been watching Hugh play Wolverine since I was 9, he deserves a perfect final chapter. Add to it, after the success of Deadpool, the studio said they weren't going to try and tame the beast with another PG-13 rating. They are going for full, honest story telling that seeks to honor the integrity of the character.








2. Dunkirk

 Image result for dunkirk 2017 poster

Christopher Nolan is my favorite director ever. Every time he releases a movie it is quite an ordeal for me, and he has yet to release a movie that doesn't wind up in my top ten of its year. Tackling his first non sci-fi or comic book movie since 2006's the Prestige, I have high hopes for this WWII drama. Add to the mix Nolan alum Tom Hardy and Cillian Murphy with Mark Rylance and Kenneth Branagh and we will most likely be treated to something very special and unique. Let's hope Harry Styles of One Direction fame doesn't muck this up; but I'm anticipating him being a solid actor.









1. Star Wars Episode VIII

 Image result for Star Wars VIII 2017 poster

 While there is still so much of this movie being kept locked in secret, I am so unbelievably excited to see how this movie addresses to much of what was built up in Episode VII. Who is this Snoke? What is the correlation between Rey and Luke? Is she a Skywalker? What more will we learn about Finn and Poe? Who is Benicio Del Torro playing? Will Rian Johnson bring the same dark, psychological edge to this he so brilliantly brought to Brick and Looper? Will Domhnaal Gleeson have another speech so terrifying it will haunt my dreams? I don't know, but I can't wait to find out!


So that's my top 10 movies I'm most looking forward to this year. There's several others I'm looking forward to (It, Split, Leggo Batman!), but I had to narrow it down to 10. So, what about you? What movies are you most looking forward to seeing this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment